June 26, 2012

How to Raise Kids Who Love to Read


Is it really difficult to raise kids who love to read?

It has been estimated that 1 out of 5 adults lack the basic reading skills they need to function daily, while 13% of all 17-year-olds are functionally illiterate.  These statistics are a misfortune. They are made up of people who are unemployed or underemployed because they cannot fill out an application form. They are people who will never know what it is to read a newspaper or a magazine.


But you can make a difference—especially in the lives of the children.  You can perk up your children’s reading skills and instill in them love of reading simply by following seven steps on how to raise kids who love to read:

·         1.  Read well with your kids. There’s no more effective way to get your children to read than this.  And preschool children aren’t the only ones who benefit—school-age children can be helped as well.  Set a regular time, but don’t make it too long.  Fifteen to twenty minutes is long enough, especially when starting to read.  Take time to explain new words or to admire a picture.

·         2.  Have a wider range of reading materials. Make sure your kids have both a number and variety of things to read—books, magazines, newspapers, etc.  Give them to your kids for birthday presents.  Keep a stack in the bathroom, as well as next to the couch, in the car, or wherever your kids spend time.  And if possible, make sure your kids have a bookshelf and a reading lamp in their room.  A subscription to a favorite magazine is also a good idea.

·         3.  Be a good model. If children see their parents read they learn that reading is important. And this goes for both parents, by the way.  Since boys often have trouble learning to read, it’s all the more important for them to see their father or some other significant male reading—and reading to them. 

·         4.  Limit on television and computer. Television and computer can diminish a child’s creativity and stifle his imagination. So set some limits. No, you don’t have to get rid of your TV and computer completely. List the shows and games your kids want to watch and play.  Make sure the TV and computer are turned off the rest of time.

·         5.  Reward reading. Help your child establish a goal—whether of the number of books he wants to read or the amount of time he wishes to spend in reading.  A child who reads with confidence, for instance, may decide to read one book a week for the next three months; a child who reads slowly may set a goal of reading for 20 minutes a day, four days a week.  At the same time as you set goals, come up with rewards for meeting them.  The best reward any parent can give a child, of course, is attention.  Talk about the book he is reading. Ask also some questions.

·         6.  Support reading programs in school. Many schools have reading incentive programs or contests. If your child doesn’t have, consider starting one. Don’t underestimate the difference you can make to your kids.

Sure, finding time to read to your children is hard, but it’s worth the effort.  Reading opens doors to the wonders of the world; you can go anywhere, learn anything, and meet anyone through books.  When you instill in your kids love of reading, you give them wings on which to soar in search for their dreams. How to raise kids who love to read is not really hard to do.
 Click here for free subscription

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At July 7, 2015 at 6:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This site is very good to me. Because this site has much more sense post. So I am posting at the site.
I would like to know more of the unknown. Top posts and takes a lot of good to me and to all of the beautiful and the good.
Dental surgery Ryde

 
At August 31, 2015 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

My daughter loved reading when she was little, Even now, she would rather read than watch TV. My son on the other hand, is the complete opposite. Getting him to read is such a fight. I really like what you said about being a good model. Maybe if he saw that I enjoyed reading, he wouldn't give me such a fuss about it.

http://www.highperformancelearning.com/tutoring-coaching-services/reading-and-spelling/

 
At September 11, 2016 at 5:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What else can i say rather than to thank Doctor Okpamen who God used to reunite my marriage. Each day of my life, i ask God to bless Dr. Okpamen for he has made my life complete by bringing back my husband to me and for this reason, i made a vow to my self that i will testify on the internet to let the world know that Dr. Okpamen is a God on Earth. My husband and i had a fight for three days which led to our divorce. On this faithful day, i came across a testimony of how Dr. Okpamen helped a lady in getting back her lover. So, i contacted him and explained to him and he told me that my days of sorrows are over that my husband will come back to me within 12 to 16 hours for he's going to prepare a spell for me. Could you believe it, my husband came home begging that he needs me back. Do you need any kind of help? Contact him now via email: ( Doctorokpamenspelltemple@hotmail.com ), Website: http://doctorokpamenpowerfulspelltemple.webs.com, call and whats App him via +2348135254384 OR for more confirmation call or text me on my cell# +1 (914) 517-3229. Becky Nolan USA.

 
At January 3, 2017 at 1:20 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Really good points you indicated here, learned some points here the post. I know an another tips How to encourage your child to complete a book. 3 parenting tips may be helpful.

 
At June 2, 2018 at 9:45 AM , Blogger alizybeth said...

It is about parenting from a place of mutual respect that by its nature spills over into discipline. It would not be possible to practice gentle parenting and NOT practice gentle discipline. read full review

 
At April 2, 2019 at 12:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Augmented Reality in Education
Special kids and AR — As far as special kids are considered Augmented Reality is one of the most excellent ways to educate them. For instance, children who have ADHD and Autism may need special guidance in education as the normal educational techniques may not work for them. UniteAR helps them to learn abstract and difficult concepts with the help of AR technology; as a result learning is made simple.
https://www.unitear.com/

 
At April 12, 2020 at 1:21 PM , Blogger mutubba said...

THIS IS H0W MAMA A SPIRITUAL HEALER BROUGHT BACK MY LOVER BACK CONTACT HER ON +27673651672
by: MICHEAL

Thanks to Dr MAMA for bringing back my lover, my lover left me because of his secretary in the office and he proposed marriage to her when i contacted Dr mama on whatsapp she stopped the marriage and made my man come back to his sense and realised that the woman was using charm on him after Dr mama cast a spell that is when my man came back to me and apologised that is how me and my man became husband and wife after Dr mama cast spell on him and destroyed the charm the woman was using on my man. Dr mama removed the charm and restored our relationship back.contact her for any kind of help via her whatsapp number +27673651672

 
At November 9, 2020 at 10:47 AM , Blogger Tucker Conrad said...

A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

 
At November 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Tucker Conrad said...

A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

 
At January 5, 2022 at 12:54 AM , Blogger Hand and Hand said...

Really thanks for sharing this useful post . This post is very informative . keep sharing .

Hamilton Childcare

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...